Monday, April 03, 2006

Day 2 - 04.02.06

Strolling the French Quarter, etc.

After rushing to the mess hall justintime to grab some breakfast, Sarah and I cleaned up to head into the city before out 3pm orientation. We drove through the Lower Ninth Ward, which along with St. Bernard Parish, was the hardest hit area – Katrina, Rita, storm surges, levee breaks, floods – you name it, it affected these two areas. Here are some pictures.




(I'll put all of my pics from the trip online once I get back)

Since it was the only chance we’d have in the daytime all week, we wandered the French Quarter and Bourbon Street for a few hours. This area is up and running, people living, working, and of course, playing, drinking, partying. Bourbon Street pretty much smells like beer mixed with urine 24/7. Mmm.



We ended up at the riverfront and wandered around a huge French Market/ Flea Market. And, I met ‘Fats’ Domino…just kidding.


After orientation, I drove around for a bit (rte 10E towards Slidell, LA! Never thought I'd end up there!) and found Lake Ponchatrain, the lake whose levee broke. This lake is HUGE. (For my Michigan friends, it'd be like Lake Erie just spilling over). Apparently you can drive over Lake Ponchatrain, it's a 25-mile bridge. I think I would have about 43 heart attacks driving over that.



I was in for the night after our meeting. I will leave you with a great t-shirt slogan I found today. Sums up quite a lot about the city!

No comments: